Solar Terrestrial Activity Report

Activity chart

Last major update issued on August 30, 2023 at 07:45 UT.

Charts (* = updated daily) Data and archive
  Solar wind (*) Solar and geomagnetic data - last month (*)
  Electron fluence (*) Archived daily reports and monthly data since 2003.01 (August 5, 2023)
Solar cycle Solar cycles 23-25 (August 1, 2023) Historical solar and geomagnetic data charts 1954-2006 (April 5, 2007)
  Cycle 24-25 progress (August 1, 2023) Noon SDO sunspot count 1K image / 4K (*)
  Solar cycles 1-24 (July 1, 2020) POES auroral activity level [October 2009 - December 2012]
  Comparison of cycles 21-25 (August 1, 2023) 3rd SSN Workshop, Tucson, 2013
  Comparison of cycles 12-14, 16, 24-25 (August 1, 2023) 4th SSN Workshop, Locarno, 2014
  Solar polar fields vs. solar cycles (July 10, 2023) Cycle 25 spots (final update December 25, 2019)
  Solar cycles 24-25 transition using 365d smoothing Research: Solar Cycle 25 Started on November 17, 2019 with 365 Days Smoothing

Recent activity

The geomagnetic field was quiet on August 29. Solar wind speed at SOHO ranged between 314 and 377 km/sec. The high latitude magnetometer at Andenes recorded quiet to minor storm levels.

Solar flux density measured at 20h UT on 2.8 GHz was 142.2 - decreasing 30.7 over the previous solar rotation. (Centered 1 year average SF at 1 AU - 183 days ago: 153.31. In comparison SC24 peaked on June 28, 2014 at 145.50). The Potsdam WDC planetary A index was 3 (STAR Ap - based on the mean of three hour interval ap indices: 3.4). Three hour interval K indices: 00022112 (planetary), 11023312 (Boulder), 00023215 (Andenes).

The background x-ray flux is at the class B6 level (GOES 16).

At the time of counting spots (see image time), spots were observed in 11 active regions using 2K resolution (SN: 200) and in 10 active regions using 1K resolution (SN: 144) SDO/HMI images.

Region 13412 [N30W68] was quiet and stable.
Region 13413 [N09W37] became more compact with both polarities present in the largest penumbra. C1 flares: C1.1 @ 02:45, C1.6 @ 04:21 UT
Region 13415 [S09W17] was mostly quiet and stable. C1 flares: C1.0 @ 20:38 UT
Region 13416 [S19E16] was mostly quiet and stable.
Region 13417 [S08E61] produced a few low level C flares and decayed slowly. C1 flares: C1.4 @ 04:36, C1.2 @ 21:02 UT

Spotted regions not observed (or interpreted differently) by SWPC/USAF:
S8896 [N24W00] was quiet and stable.
S8897 [N18W11] was quiet and stable.
S8900 [N12E18] was quiet and stable.
New region S8903 [N21E76] rotated into view with a few small and tiny spots. C1 flares: C1.9 @ 00:12, C1.0 @ 11:24, C1.0 @ 16:04 UT
New region S8904 [N02W05] emerged before noon and decayed slowly after noon.
New region S8905 [N23E30] was observed with tiny spots in an old plage area.

C2+ flares:

Magnitude Peak time (UT) Location Source Recorded by Comment
C2.1 06:42   S8903 GOES16  
C2.0 23:01   13417 GOES16  
C3.9 23:21   13417 GOES16 simultaneous flare in AR 13415

Coronal mass ejections (CMEs)

August 27-29: No obviously Earth directed CMEs were observed.

Coronal holes

[Coronal hole history (since October 2002)]
[Compare today's report to the situation one solar rotation ago: 28 days ago 27 days ago 26 days ago]

A northern hemisphere coronal hole (CH1167) rotated across the central meridian on August 28.

Propagation

Long distance low and medium frequency (below 2 MHz) propagation along paths north of due west over upper middle and high latitudes is poor. Propagation on long distance northeast-southwest paths is poor.

Forecast

The geomagnetic field is expected to be mostly quiet on August 30-31. Effects from CH1167 could cause some unsettled intervals on August 31 and September 1.

Coronal holes (1) Coronal mass ejections (2) M and X class flares (3)
     

1) Effects from a coronal hole could reach Earth within the next 5 days. When the high speed stream has arrived the color changes to green.
2) Effects from a CME are likely to be observed at Earth within 96 hours.
3) There is a possibility of either M or X class flares within the next 48 hours.

Green: 0-30% probability, Yellow: 30-70% probability, Red: 70-100% probability.

Active solar regions


(Click on image for 2K resolution). 4K resolution. Compare to the previous day's image.
0.5K image

When available the active region map has a coronal hole polarity overlay where red (pink) is negative and blue is positive.

Data for all officially numbered solar regions according to the Solar Region Summary provided by NOAA/SWPC, all other regions are numbered sequentially as they emerge using the STAR spot number. Comments are my own, as is the STAR spot count (spots observed at or inside a few hours before midnight) and data for regions not numbered by SWPC or where SWPC has observed no spots. SWPC active region numbers in the table below and in the active region map above are the historic SWPC/USAF numbers. SWPC data considered to be not sufficiently precise (location, area, classification) are colored red.

Active region SWPC date numbered
STAR detected
Spot count Location at midnight Area Classification SDO / HMI 4K continuum
image with magnetic polarity overlays
Comment
SWPC/
USAF
Magnetic
(SDO)
SWPC STAR Current Previous
2K 1K
13412 2023.08.17
2023.08.18
1 1 1 N30W67 0030 HSX HRX

location: N30W68

13414 2023.08.18
2023.08.21
      S10W79           location: S14W62
13413 2023.08.20
2023.08.21
14 31 16 N09W36 0230 DAO DKC

beta-delta

area: 0540

location: N09W37

13415 2023.08.22
2023.08.22
8 23 11 S10W19 0190 DAO DKC  

beta-delta

location: S09W17

area: 0290

S8888 2023.08.22       N13W25          
13416 2023.08.24
2023.08.25
1 3 3 S20E18 0050 HSX CSO area: 0080
S8893 2023.08.24       S22E04            
S8894 2023.08.24       N20W15            
S8896 2023.08.26   5   N24W00 0008   BXO  
S8897 2023.08.26   3 1 N18W11 0006   BXO  
S8898 2023.08.26       S17W10          
S8899 2023.08.26       S17W45          
S8900 2023.08.27   4 1 N12E18 0007   BXO  
S8901 2023.08.27       S12E05          
13417 2023.08.28
2023.08.28
8 14 8 S07E61 0140 CAO CAO area: 0290

location: S08E61

S8903 2023.08.29   3 1 N21E76 0030   HRX    
S8904 2023.08.29   1 1 N02W05 0004   AXX    
S8905 2023.08.29   2 1 N23E30 0004   AXX    
Total spot count: 32 90 44  
Sunspot number: 82 200 144  (total spot count + 10 * number of spotted regions)
Weighted SN: 57 126 80  (Sum of total spot count + classification weighting for each AR. Classification weighting: X=0, R=3, A/S=5, H/K=10)
Relative sunspot number (Wolf number): 90 110 115  

Monthly solar cycle data

Month Average solar flux International sunspot number
(WDC-SILSO)
Smoothed sunspot number (4) Average ap
(3)
Measured 1 AU
2014.02 170.3
(cycle peak)
166.3 146.1 (SC24 peak) 110.5 10.70
2014.04 143.9 144.8 112.5 116.4 (SC24 solar max) 7.88
2017.09 91.3 92.3 43.6 18.2 (-1.3) 18.22
(SC24 peak)
2019.11 70.2 68.7 0.5 2.0 (-0.6)
(Solar minimum using 365d smoothing:
November 17, 2019)
4.19
2019.12 70.8 68.6 1.6 1.8 (-0.2)
(ISN 13 months smoothed
solar minimum)
3.22
2022.01 103.8 100.5 55.3 60.1 (+4.2) 8.92
2022.02 109.1 106.5 60.9 64.7 (+4.6) 10.46
2022.03 117.0 115.8 78.6 68.7 (+4.0) 10.20
2022.04 130.8 131.7 84.0 73.0 (+4.3) 11.79
2022.05 133.8 136.8 96.5 77.4 (+4.4) 7.48
2022.06 116.1 119.8 70.3 81.1 (+3.7) 8.20
2022.07 125.4 129.5 91.4 86.7 (+5.6) 9.51
2022.08 114.2 117.1 74.6 92.5 (+5.8) 10.92
2022.09 135.1 136.5 96.0 96.4 (+3.9) 12.18
2022.10 133.5 132.7 95.5 98.7 (+2.3) 11.16
2022.11 123.4 120.7 80.5 101.0 (+2.3) 9.33
2022.12 147.9 143.4 112.8 106.6 (+5.6) 10.99
2023.01 182.4 176.6 143.6 113.3 (+6.7) 8.73
2023.02 167.2 163.2 110.9 (119.1 projected, +5.8) 14.48
(current
SC25 peak)
2023.03 157.2 155.6 122.6 (124.4 projected, +5.3) 14.42
2023.04 145.4 146.4 96.4 (130.5 projected, +6.1) 13.40
2023.05 155.6 159.2 137.9 (136.1 projected, +5.6) 10.67
2023.06 161.7 166.8 163.4 (139.3 projected, +3.2) 8.95
2023.07  176.4 182.2 159.1 (139.7 projected, +0.4) 8.15
2023.08  154.7 (1)   93.9 (2A) / 100.4 (2B) / 123.4 (2C) (141.5 projected, +1.8) (7.4)
2023.09       (145.0 projected, +3.5)  
2023.10       (146.8 projected, +1.8)  
2023.11       (149.4 projected max SC25, +2.6)  
2023.12       (148.6 projected, -0.8)  
2024.01       (145.7 projected, -2.9)  
2024.02       (144.3 projected, -1.4)  

1) Running average based on the daily 20:00 UTC observed solar flux value at 2800 MHz and any corrections applied to that measurement.
2A) Current impact on the monthly sunspot number based on the Boulder (NOAA/SWPC) sunspot number (accumulated daily sunspots / month days).
2B) Boulder SN current month average to date.
2C) STAR SDO 1K Wolf number 30 day average.
3) Running average based on the quicklook and definitive Potsdam WDC ap indices. Values in red are based on the definitive international GFZ Potsdam WDC ap indices.
4) Source: WDC-SILSO, Royal Observatory Of Belgium, Brussels

Solar cycles 24-25

Smoothed SF and sunspot numbers

Update on the progress of solar cycle 25 as of August 20, 2023

Looking back 6 months, the 365d smoothed values for solar flux and all sunspot numbers with the exception of NOAA's, are all above their solar cycle 24 peak. The first peak of solar cycle 25 is projected to be between July 7 and 10, 2023 (solar flux on July 7, ISN and STAR 1K and 2K all have that peak on July 9, while NOAA peaks on July 10). This is unlikely to be the final peak of SC25, there is only a small chance that it is the actual sunspot and solar flux maximum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This report has been prepared by Jan Alvestad. It is based on the analysis of data from whatever sources are available at the time the report is prepared. All time references are to Universal Time. Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

SDO images are courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, and HMI science teams.