Solar Terrestrial Activity Report

Activity chart

Last major update issued on June 4, 2021 at 06:10 UT.

Charts (* = updated daily) Data and archive
  Solar wind (*) Solar and geomagnetic data - last month (*)
  Electron fluence (*) Archived daily reports and monthly data since 2003.01 (June 1, 2021)
Solar cycle Solar cycles 23-25 (June 1, 2021) Historical solar and geomagnetic data charts 1954-2006 (April 5, 2007)
  Cycle 24-25 progress (June 1, 2021) Noon SDO sunspot count 1K image / 4K (*)
  Solar cycles 1-24 (June 1, 2020) POES auroral activity level October 2009 - December 2012]
  Comparison of cycles 21-25 (June 1, 2021) 3rd SSN Workshop, Tucson, 2013
  Comparison of cycles 12-14, 16, 24-25 (June 1, 2021) 4th SSN Workshop, Locarno, 2014
  Solar polar fields vs. solar cycles (January 7, 2021) Cycle 25 spots (final update December 25, 2019)
  Solar cycles 24-25 using 365d smoothing Research: Solar Cycle 25 Started on November 17, 2019 with 365 Days Smoothing

Recent activity

The geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled on June 3 due to weak CME effects during the first half of the day. The high latitude magnetometer at Andenes recorded quiet to unsettled conditions.

Solar flux density measured at 20h UT on 2.8 GHz was 75.5 - increasing 1.0 over the previous solar rotation. (Centered 1 year average SF at 1 AU - 183 days ago: 75.84). The Potsdam WDC planetary A index was 5 (STAR Ap - based on the mean of three hour interval ap indices: 5.4). Three hour interval K indices: 22321110 (planetary), 22332210 (Boulder), 10123310 (Andenes).

The background x-ray flux is at the class A6 level (GOES 16).

At the time of counting spots (see image time), spots were observed in 5 active regions using 2K resolution (SN: 102) and in 5 active regions using 1K resolution (SN: 74) SDO/HMI images.

Region 12827 [N11W30] decayed slightly and was quiet.
Region 12829 [S18E36] was quiet and stable.

Spotted regions not observed (or interpreted differently) by SWPC:
New region S6896 [S16W21] emerged with a tiny spot.
New region S6897 [S20W18] emerged with tiny spots.
New region S6898 [S27W19] emerged with a tiny spot.

C2+ flares:

Magnitude Peak time (UT) Location AR Recorded by Comment
           

Coronal mass ejections (CMEs)

June 1-3: No obviously Earth directed CMEs were observed in available LASCO imagery.

Coronal holes

[Coronal hole history (since October 2002)]
[Compare today's report to the situation one solar rotation ago: 28 days ago 27 days ago 26 days ago]

A southern hemisphere coronal hole (CH1014) will likely become Earth facing on June 4-5.

Propagation

Long distance low and medium frequency (below 2 MHz) propagation along paths north of due west over upper middle and high latitudes is poor. Propagation on long distance northeast-southwest paths is poor.

Forecast

The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet on June 4-6. Quiet to active conditions are likely on June 7-8 due to effects from CH1014.

Coronal holes (1) Coronal mass ejection (2) M and X class flares (3)
     

1) Effects from a coronal hole could reach Earth within the next 5 days. When the high speed stream has arrived the color changes to green.
2) Effects from a CME are likely to be observed at Earth within 96 hours.
3) There is a possibility of either M or X class flares within the next 48 hours.

Green: 0-30% probability, Yellow: 30-70% probability, Red: 70-100% probability.

Active solar regions


(Click on image for 2K resolution). 4K resolution. Compare to the previous day's image.
0.5K image

When available the active region map has a coronal hole polarity overlay where red (pink) is negative and blue is positive.

Data for all officially numbered solar regions according to the Solar Region Summary provided by NOAA/SWPC, all other regions are numbered sequentially as they emerge using the STAR spot number. Comments are my own, as is the STAR spot count (spots observed at or inside a few hours before midnight) and data for regions not numbered by SWPC or where SWPC has observed no spots. SWPC active region numbers in the table below and in the active region map above are the historic SWPC/USAF numbers. SWPC data considered to be not sufficiently precise (location, area, classification) are red colored.

Active region SWPC date numbered
STAR detected
Spot count Location at midnight Area Classification SDO / HMI 4K continuum
image with magnetic polarity overlays
Comment
SWPC/
USAF
Magnetic
(SDO)
SWPC STAR Current Previous
2K 1K
12827 2021.05.29
2021.05.29
4 24 10 N11W27 0070 CSO CSI

area: 0150

location: N11W30

12828 2021.05.29
2021.05.30
      S31W21            
S6890 2021.05.30       S28W36            
S6892 2021.05.31       S01W37           SC24
12829 2021.06.01
2021.06.02
4 24 11 S18E35 0010 CRO CRI area: 0080
S6894 2021.06.02       S22E19          
S6896 2021.06.03   1 1 S16W21 0003   AXX    
S6897 2021.06.03   2 1 S20W18 0008   AXX    
S6898 2021.06.03   1 1 S27W19 0002   AXX    
Total spot count: 8 52 24  
Sunspot number: 28 102 74  (total spot count + 10 * number of spotted regions)
Weighted SN: 16 65 32  (Sum of total spot count + classification weighting for each AR. Classification weighting: X=0, R=3, A/S=5, H/K=10)
Relative sunspot number (Wolf number): 31 56 59 k * (sunspot number)
As of May 7, 2016: k = 1.1 for SWPC, k = 0.55 for STAR 2K, k = 0.80 for STAR 1K

Monthly solar cycle data

Month Average solar flux International sunspot number
(WDC-SILSO)
Smoothed sunspot number (4) Average ap
(3)
Measured 1 AU
2014.02 170.3
(cycle peak)
166.3 146.1 (cycle peak) 110.5 10.70
2014.04 143.9 144.8 112.5 116.4 (solar max) 7.88
2017.09 91.3 92.3 43.6 18.2 (-1.3) 18.22
(cycle peak)
2019.11 70.2 68.7 0.5 2.0 (-0.6)
(Solar minimum using 365d smoothing:
November 17, 2019)
4.19
2019.12 70.8 68.6 1.6 1.8 (-0.2)
(ISN 13 months smoothed
solar minimum)
3.22
2020.01 72.2 69.9 6.4 2.2 (+0.4) 4.39
2020.02 71.0 69.3 0.4 2.7 (+0.5) 6.16
2020.03 70.2 69.5 1.5 3.0 (+0.3) 5.63
2020.04 69.5 70.0 5.4 3.6 (+0.6) 5.32
2020.05 69.0 70.6 0.2 5.6 (+2.0) 3.80
2020.06 69.5 71.7 5.8 7.9 (+2.3) 3.75
2020.07 69.5 71.8 6.3 9.0 (+1.1) 4.28
2020.08 71.6 73.4 7.6 9.5 (+0.5) 5.68
2020.09 70.7 71.4 0.7 10.5 (+1.0) 8.59
2020.10 74.6 74.2 14.6 11.9 (+1.4) 6.13
2020.11 89.9 88.0 34.5 13.6 (+1.7) 4.77
2020.12 86.9 84.2 23.1 (15.7 projected, +2.1) 4.72
2021.01 76.0 73.6 10.4 (18.8 projected, +3.1) 4.39
2021.02 74.3 72.4 8.3 (22.0 projected, +3.2) 9.50
2021.03 76.0 75.2 17.3 (25.4 projected, +3.4) 10.17
2021.04 75.9 76.4 24.5 (29.5 projected, +4.1) 8.40
2021.05 75.3 77.1 21.2 (32.2 projected, +2.7) 6.5
2021.06 75.7 (1)   2.6 (2A) / 26 (2B) / 35.4 (2C) (35.4 projected, +3.2) (3.9)
2021.07       (40.0 projected, +4.6)  
2021.08       (44.7 projected, +4.7)  
2021.09       (50.4 projected, +5.7)  
2021.10       (54.7 projected, +4.3)  
2021.11       (59.3 projected, +4.6)  

1) Running average based on the daily 20:00 UTC observed solar flux value at 2800 MHz and any corrections applied to that measurement.
2A) Current impact on the monthly sunspot number based on the Boulder (NOAA/SWPC) sunspot number (accumulated daily sunspots / month days).
2B) Boulder SN current month average to date.
2C) STAR SDO 1K Wolf number 30 day average.
3) Running average based on the quicklook and definitive Potsdam WDC ap indices. Values in red are based on the definitive international GFZ Potsdam WDC ap indices.
4) Source: SIDC-SILSO.

Solar cycles 24-25 transition

Smoothed SF and sunspot numbers

 

This report has been prepared by Jan Alvestad. It is based on the analysis of data from whatever sources are available at the time the report is prepared. All time references are to Universal Time. Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

SDO images are courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, and HMI science teams.